The cathedral is perhaps located on the site of a pre-existing 4th century building, not necessarily a church, whose foundations have been excavated beneath the current level; the site is included within the ancient Roman walls of Augusta Vindelicorum. The first known church in the place is documented from 822, but dating to the late 8th century reigns of bishops Wikterp and Simpert.
The edifice was damaged by the Magyars, and was restored in 923 under bishop Ulrich. Another repairing intervention occurred in 994, when the western apse crumbled down; the restoration was funded by empress Adelaide. The current Romanesque structure was commissioned in 1043 by bishop Henry III, and was completed in 1065. The two towers, which are visible from the whole city, were completed in 1075. From 1331 to 1431 numerous Gothic elements were added, including the eastern choir.
During the Protestant Reformation, the church lost most of its religious artworks, although some were later restored. The interior, which was turned into a Baroque one during the 17th century, was partially to its late medieval appearance in the 19th century, with the addition of some neo-Gothic elements. In 1565 the northern tower was heightened. The church suffered only limited damage during World War II, mostly to the Chapel of Our Lady.
Key selling points
- Including a real miniature of the glass
- Antique finish combined with a color window
- Very limited mintage
Image galleryFind below a gallery of all images & video available for this product. Please contact us if you require more material as we might have more available for marketing purposes. Download image library.
|Face Value||10 Dollars|
|Scope of Delivery||Capsule, Box / Case, Certificate of Authenticity|
|Special Features||Antique Finish, Glass window insert|
Few left at NumisCollect
All coins in the Stained Glass Windows series
Find here a list of coins issued in the same series.